Recent Posts

Sunday 2 February 2014

The Family of St. Paul

Being circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; according to the law, a Pharisee: Philippians 3:5  DR


Today, I have been imagining the family of the Great Apostle Paul. He was from the Tribe of Benjamin, so they were Benjamites. He was a Roman citizen from birth, so they could have been wealthy, helping the Empire in some way.

He was highly educated by the elite of his day, Gamaliel among others. So, he was special, chosen, extremely intelligent, gifted. He was of the ruling class in Jerusalem, a Pharisee.


His family must have been the same, or similar--orthodox, keen, even zealous Jews, aware that they were of the Chosen People of God.

He never mentions them.

Were his parents dead? Did he have siblings? Where did his siblings live? Was he an only child? Were his family members all dead when he became a Catholic? Where were they?

Did they ever hear him preach? Did his mother worry about him on his travels? Did his father disown him? Was he an orphan?

No one in my large family reads my blog. They do not want to hear anything I can say, and they do not want to accept what little things I can do for them. They are either liberal Catholics, or too old, or atheists, or agnostics.

And, St. Paul was famous in his Catholic ministry, our First Theologian, not a little old Iowan sitting in the middle of nowhere.

It is highly possible that St. Paul's family, either immediate or extended, never read his epistles, or heard him preach, or saw him make miracles in the Name of Jesus.

When one of my ancestors who became a nun went into the convent, her father never spoke to her or of her again.

When St. Damien of Molokai told his father he wanted to be a priest, his father objected. The next morning, the father told Damien to get into the farm cart and the father drove him to the town to the priest's house.


He never spoke with Damien again. I assume he never wrote.

The price of discipleship can be complete separation of one from one's family.

God chooses whom He will. None are worthy to be saved or called Catholic. None earn heaven, as Christ has done this for us.

But, for some, for many, for me, this means isolation from those we naturally love the most.

I wonder today about St. Paul's family. When he healed the father of Publius on Malta, did he think of his own father, his uncles, a brother?

When he raised the young man from the dead, Eutychus who fell out of the window and died, did he think of a younger brother, or a son he never had?

He did not even have a son following Christ, like I do, for comfort.

But, I am the sister of St. Paul and you are his brothers and sisters. The family of God is made up of those who believe.

A bittersweet call is the call of Christ out of our families into the world and the Church.


It is time to value those in the family of God and make community.

Matthew 12:46-50

Douay-Rheims 
46 As he was yet speaking to the multitudes, behold his mother and his brethren stood without, seeking to speak to him.
47 And one said unto him: Behold thy mother and thy brethren stand without, seeking thee.

48 But he answering him that told him, said: Who is my mother, and who are my brethren?
49 And stretching forth his hand towards his disciples, he said: Behold my mother and my brethren.
50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father, that is in heaven, he is my brother, and sister, and mother.
It is possible to lose the call of discipleship by staying in a family which rejects God. God calls us out and we need to be open to those to whom He sends us.
I know of one priest who finally left the priesthood because his family had always been against his call. I know of a young man who could not stand up to his parents and stay in the seminary. 
I also know a beautiful young nun, an only child, who left a completely secular family,and entered the cloister. 
Be open.